Readers, I made it again. Simplicity 2215 just refuses to leave my sewing table! There's good reason for that, of course. This winter, I just seemed to reach for my Liberty version of this dress over and over. The pattern is comfortable, the fabric is divinely soft, and it layers so well. How could I resist? Unfortunately, since society frowns on one wearing the same dress everyday, the practical voice in my head insisted I make another. So, I did!
Or, rather, I started to anyway. This dress has been sitting, half-sewn, on my table since early January. Why the delay? I blame the fabric. You see, not only did I decide to use Liberty again, but I broke down and chose this length of Carline print. It's my favorite of Liberty's Tana Lawns, which I hunted down after seeing Gertie's Crepe Dress last year. I've been guarding it, like "my precious," ever since. Once I decided to use it, I was scared to make a single misstep while constructing this dress. Originally, I had planned on adding a collar, in the same sapphire blue as the buttons I used. With construction almost complete, however, I started to suspect it would be too sweet. So, I contemplated...
And continued to contemplate...
Until this past week, when the Sew Weekly theme became Unfinished Objects. I decided to save this poor dress from the Land of Indecisive Sewing.
Obviously, I opted for no collar. Added to the floral print, it was entirely too saccharine. Of course, I had to draft, sew, and iron the collar to make this decision. Once it was basted to the dress, I felt the overwhelming urge to run through the hills, singing The Sound of Music. It wasn't a good look.
Without it, however...it's rather splendid! I made some little changes, as always, the most obvious being the cap sleeves. They're self-drafted, with minimal poof around the cap, and I adore them. I'm not much of a sleeve girl, as my love for cardigans is deep and abiding, but these are so comfortable! And, despite what rumors would say, rather flattering. I may start substituting these sleeves into other patterns, instead of leaving them off as I usually do.
Things I Love:
- The fabric. Oh, the fabric! There is nothing better than Liberty Tana Lawn and this print is just gorgeous. Unfortunately, it is rather hard to find at the moment. After sewing this, I had grand plans of buying it in the red and pink colorways, as well. Which are nowhere to be found, blast it! I shall be haunting Ebay, it seems.
Things I Changed:
- Added self-drafted cap sleeves.
- Used six buttons on the bodice, instead of four.
- Made the buttonholes horizontal, instead of vertical. I just like the look of horizontal much more, plus find that they work better for large busts.
- Added a full lining, instead of just the prescribed bodice lining.
Tricky Steps & Suggestions:
- Since the pleats are asymmetrical, either mark the fold directions very well or keep the pattern handy, when folding them. Otherwise, it's a breeze!
Notions & Fabric:
- Liberty London Carline print Lawn - Ebay - $20/yard
- Sapphire Cotton Poplin - Fabric Mart - $1.50/yard
- Six covered buttons
- 10 hours...or a month, depending on how you're counting.